• 1500 around: Construction of the present building, the façade is attributed to Michelangelo. The monastery is run bu the Franciscans.
• 1600: Building is enlared and renovated by Giovanni di Bartolommeo Davanzati.
• 1808: Monastic orders all over Italy, including Villa San Michele were dissolved by the French Emperor Napoleon.
• 1817: Vila San Michele becomes a Monastery again, but most of its treasures have been dispersed.
• 1900: Acquisition of the Villa by Henry White Cannon from New York. The Villa and the gardens are restored in a Victorian styla. Glasshouses arre added to the gardens.
• 1950: Acquisition by Monsieur Lucien Tessier as a private residence.
• 1952 around: Due to the high cost to upkeep the property, Lucien Tessier opens the Villa opens as an Hotel.
• 1982: Acquisition of the Villa by Orient Express Hotels.
Article by « Grand Hotels of the World & VB.com », written from « Cremerie de Paris ».