• 1919: Aquisition of some real estate on the Avenida Atlantica by Octávio Guinle.
• 1920: Building of the Palace with the French architect Joseph Gire
inspired by the Hotel Carlton in Cannes.
• 1923 August 13: Grand ball for the opening of the Copacabana Palace.
Young Aimee de Sa Sotto Maior,
and her sister Vera fascinate everybody with their overwhelming beauty.
Over a half a century later the editor of this website
had the chance to meet the same Aimée.
She was like a livng Grand Hotel History Book.
• 1925: Albert Einstein is a guest of the Hotel.
• 1931: Edward VIII stays at the Palace.
• 1934: Building of the Hotel Swimming Pool.
• 1936: Igor Stravinsky and Stefan Zweig stay at the Hotel.
• 1941: Walt Disney stays at the Hotel.
• 1942: Orson Welles stays at the Hotel.
• 1953: A fire destroyed a small part of the Hotel.
• 1960: Slow decline after Brasilia replaced Rio as the capital of Brazil.
• 1962: Moovie Copacabana Palace with Sylvia Coscia and Franco Fabrizi.
• 1975: Princess Soraya of Iran stays at the Copacabana Palace.
• 1985: Projects to demolish the iconic Hotel.
• 1985: January Interview with Freddy Mercurie.
• 1986: Prince Johannes von Thurn und Taxis stays at the Hotel.
• 1989: José Edouardo Guinle sells the Palace to James Sherwood (Orient Express Hotels).
• 1991: Lady Diana stays at the Palace, also Winnie + Nelson Mandela and Roger Moore.
• 1995: Liza Minelli stays at the Hotel.
• 1998: Pierre Brosnan and Claudia Schiffer stay at the Hotel.
• 1999: Queen Margaret of Denmark stays at tha Hotel.
• 2002: Barbara Bush stays at the Hotel.
• 2004: Presidente Luis Inácio Lula da Silva stays at tha Hotel.
• 2006: Princess Victoria of Sweden stays at the Hotel.
• 2007: Al Gore stays at the Hotel.
• 2008: Copacapana Palace becomes a cultural Monument.
• 2013: Belle Epoque Novel writer Countess Caroline von Krockow stays at the Hotel.
• 2014: Orient Express Hotels rebranded Belmond.
Article by « Grand Hotels of the World & VB.com », written from « Cremerie de Paris ».