• 1893: Professor Alexandre Yersin, a French bacterologist and one of the first scientist in the Institut Pasteur, discovers the Lang Bian plateau, soon the decision was taken to create a Climate Resort.
• 1905: he town of Dalat starts being constructed, to attract the hi-society of Saigon a Grand Hotel is necessary.
• 1916: The construction of the Hotel begins.
• 1922: Opening of the « Lang-Bian Palace Hotel » or « Hotel Du Lang Bian » as a French colonial style with the support of the French Governor, General Long. The architecture is inspired by French resort places like Cabourg or Vichy, includng many Rococco style elements.
• 1939 – 1945: Dalat is the captial of French Indochina.
• 1943: Renovation of the Hotel under Admiral Decoux, Vichy gouverneur general of Indochina and architect Paule Vesseyre. The ornate facade dissapeared.
• 1945: The Hotel name changes to Dalat Palace.
• 1975: End of the Vietnam war, the times of the Palace are very slow.
• 1993: The American buisnessman Larry Hillblom, co founder of DHL (the H represents Hillblom) buys the Hotel. Hillblom was a fan of grand colonial style buildings and invested 40 million dollars to restaure the place to old grandeur.
• 1995: The Palace reopens under management of Sofitel (Accor Hotels and Resorts).
• 1995: Death of the mecene of the Palace, Larry Hillblom in a plane crash.
• 2009: The Dalat Palace Golf cours named Vietnam’s best golf location.
• 2010: Dalat Palace ends the Sofitel agreement and becomes a private Palace Hotel managed by Dalat Resorts Incorporation.
• Edouard Feraudy (1930s)
• Tony Chisholm (2008-2009)
• Jon Bourbaud (2009-2010)
• Kurt Greve (since 2010)
Article by « Grand Hotels of the World & VB.com », written from « Cremerie de Paris ».